游客:  注册 | 登录 | 首页
作者:
标题: [原创] 邻居的晚会 上一主题 | 下一主题
fanghuzhai

#1  [原创] 邻居的晚会

My neighbor put up a big tent. They even rented a mobile toilet. Something big was going to happen. Either some kid’s birthday or Cinco de Mayo (墨西哥抗法胜利纪念日). Saturday night went quietly, but on Sunday, as I made a stop two block away from my house to visit a friend at about 9pm, I could hear the music. At my house, double pane window was of no avail.

Such loud party was not a daily thing of course. Not even a monthly thing. Two years ago when I moved into this neighborhood, it was worse. At first I complained politely, only to invite an insulting remark. I stopped. I thought I better not antagonize my neighbor. In most cases they are hardworking people so they deserve some fun. Nor do I dislike their music. Only that I do not endorse their disregard towards neighbors. But again, I was unfortunate to have bought a house in this neighborhood. I was a fan of their culture back then, picking up their language and learning their folk dance. And also I know that not all members of their ethnicity are like this.

Today I enjoyed their music and even danced in my yard. My double pane windows more or less muffled the sound a little bit. In the past, someone told me, if you cannot stop them, dance with them. Well, I am too busy to dance and it would be accident prone if I should approach them at night. Before saying I want to dance, they would surely assume I am there to interfere.

I enjoyed the music by following it in my mind, as if I were listening to my radio. Their music is not bad after all. Sometimes I listen to such music on the radio.

I do not want to call the police, seeing many kids in the jumping house. I am worried however, such disregard of neighborhood well-being will get passed down generation by generation. Their kids, growing up with this, will think this is the norm. I already see petty vandalism on my property. A cone against parking on my driveway for their fun was knocked over. The piece of wood block that I use to put at the wheel of my car to prevent accidental malfunction of parking brake was dislodged. Paper plates and forks with cake residue decorated my curb. A plastic ball was in my front yard (this happens constantly, party or no party, but my yard was chained so they have to wait till I come back to return the ball).

I wonder why their adults do not educate their kids about proper manners when playing at a party.

The city is notoriously dis-functional in enforcing codes regarding loud parties. Police do come if someone calls, but there is no reaching out to prevent such behavior. There is no education. This country’s love for individualism makes it abhor at mass education. They call it brainwashing.

I think a law should be passed that loud parties must get city permit to be held. Date, duration, facilities used, time, etc should be specified. Police should visit the site at the closing hour to make sure it ends. Violations should be cited.

It was 10:55 pm now and the party was still going on.  

后来11点半了,参加晚会的人才陆续离去。音乐也低下来乃至停止。我观察,很有不少年轻女士,不过都是抱孩子的。哈哈。

那个大篷还装了旋转彩灯,俨然一个舞厅。散的时候,来了几辆出租载客,估计是喝多了,或者本来就没车的。颇有点闹市娱乐场所的氛围。

两个男人近距离说话,互相拍肩膀,很有点像中国人酒宴上发生了点口角然后又和好的样子。

上边那个英文部分就是在听着他们的舞会的时候写的。放到MontereyCounty Weekly 我的博克里了。

2013-5-6 11:48
博客  资料  短信   编辑  引用

« 上一主题 侃山闲聊 下一主题 »